Sunday, June 7, 2009

Don't Take Good Service For "Granite"


***Warning this post is long***

I am so close to finishing the kitchen I can taste it! I can't wait for it to be done. I sick of the chaos of not having a schedule and just having everyone else watch my kids while I work on the kitchen. I just finished painting everything but there are a couple of places where I need to touch up on the ceiling. I got the cabinets in and they look fantastic. I picked out the tile for my backsplash. The flooring has come in but I can't put it in until the stone is in on the fireplace.


So this is what it looks like so far. We put in the ovens and they look great. We still have to cut the notches out of the island granite for it to fit around the posts. The frige is my old frige but I put it the the spot just to see what it looked like. I am going to get a new stainless steel frige when the flooring is done.

So now I will tell you about my horrific experience with the granite. I bought the granite from this place close to my house because I was able to get a good deal. I needed the island edge finished and a opening cut out for the sink. They gave me a name of a guy who usually does it for them. I called him and he said no problem that he would pick up the pieces, finish them and then take them back to the graite place for me to pick up. I left the kitchen plans with all of the dimensions and the sink template with the people at the granite place. He picked them up finished them and then I met him at the granite place to pay him for the service. I paid him and then noticed that the sink opening was cut at the wrong place. I mentioned something to him and he said "Oh no it's right, you were planning on cutting one side so then it will be in the right place." I trusted that he knew what he was doing and then went home. I still kept thinking that it was wrong so I looked at my plans, calculated the inches on where the sink opening should be and concluded that it was majorly wrong. It was only supposed to be 15 inches from the right and it was about 30 inches. I then drove right back to the granite place and told them what happened. They called him and had him come back. He came right over and the first thing he said to me was, "I know where I messed up. I added the inches instead of subtracting. " He then said he would get another piece for me, cut it and get it back to me in two days. I was glad that I didn't have to argue with him that he messed up so I was just going to leave it at that. He then said, "For your troubles I will cut the piece to length and drop the granite off at your house." Well he didn't have it done in two days like he said. When we found the problem it was Saturday. He said he would pick it up on Monday and drop it off on Tuesday. I kept calling him and leaving messages but he never called me back. I then talked to him Wednesday afternoon and he said he hadn't even picked it up yet. He will pick it up on Thursday and drop it off on Friday. He then calls me on Friday and says that the sink template got thrown out and that he needs to pick up the sink and just cut it from the actually sink. He came over picked up the sink, double checked the cabinet measurements and said he would be back at 5:30 to drop it off. He then called me at 3:30, two hours before he was supposed to drop it off, and said I have another job I need to be at and I can't drop it off. I will take it back to the granite place and you can pick it up there. I said that was unacceptable and that I planned on him bringing it to my house. I then asked if he could bring it to be early Saturday morning. He then said no and that he was only doing this as a favor for me. I reminded him that it was his mistake that put me back a week on my kitchen and it was at his suggestion that he would bring it to my house. He said "Oh well I am going to drop it off at the granite place and you will have to figure out how to get it." Then ended the coversation. My dad only had Saturday to finish the granite and so we were planning on it being there. When Adam got home from work we made a plan. We would go to the granite place right when it opened and have some guys from the ward to help carry the massive island piece in the house. Adam made some phone calls and I have to give a shout out to the guys who came over at short notice. Thanks to Adam Laret, 4 missionaries, Bill Freeman, and Nathan Brady. We were glad that you guys were willing to help us out. Well we tried to put the piece in and found out the guy didn't cut it down like he said. He cut the right place for the sink but the faucet hole was off center by half of an inch. We had to take it off and put it down to cut it to size and to top it off the granite broke! AHHHHHH can this get any worse!

My dad said that he has fixed broken granite before and that you probably won't even know it happened. If not then I will have to buy another piece and pay for someone else to cut the opening for the sink. I am definately not going to that guy again!

4 comments:

Kimberly said...

What a jerk. I can't believe that he was that unprofessional. That just makes the process very frusterating. Your kitchen looks great. I can't believe you are almost done. Good job on all your hard work. I bet you are going to be so happy when this is all done.

Kimberly said...

Ooh, I'd be so mad!!! I can't stand it when people are so rude and inconsiderate! It sounds like you handled it well. The kitchen looks awesome!

kristin said...

Oh my gosh your kitchen is gorgeous!! That definitely opened up your house!!!
And seriously, that guy needs to have his license looked at again. That's absolutely ridiculous!!! Well, it will definitely be worth the headache when it's done! Maybe you should post his name across your blog as the guys to NOT use:)

Michelle and Nathan said...

You are almost done! I know that construction is a headache, but it's all worth it in the end. You should post the granite guy's name and tell people to avoid him at all costs! What a frustration.