Thursday, June 11, 2009

Happy Birthday Addison!

Today is Addison's birthday and the 1 year anniversary of my VBAC. (vaginal birth after Cesarean) As most of you know I had a horrific experience with Landon. After my research and also my experience with working in Labor and Delivery I have concluded that there was no medical reason for my C-Section. I didn't have a fever, his heart rate never dropped. It was really just over management from the doctor and the nurse. I was induced with pitocin, had an epidural and the nurse started pushing me way too early. (there are many more things that happened that contributed to my C-Section but I won't go on about it) They said my 8lbs 2oz baby was too big for my pelvis and that I shouldn't even try with my next one because most likely it will be a bigger baby and not fit. I talked to a lot of other mothers who were told the same thing and went to have bigger babies just fine. Being the planner that I am I researched the pros and cons of each situation, C-Section or VBAC. Pros with C-Section: it's scheduled and that was about it. Cons: Blood clots, placental problems in future pregnancies, infertility, hysterectomy, damage to bowel and bladder, hemorrhaging, infection, recovery pain plus potential problems with the baby's lungs and not breastfeeding well. I have to say I have seen a lot of these things first hand at work. Now VBAC Cons: labor pains, don't know when it will happen, uterine rupture (you have a higher chance of having cord prolapse in a normal birth then having a uterine rupture). Cord Prolapse is when the water breaks and the umbilical cord comes out first, gets pinched off by the pelvis and baby's head to cut off the blood supply. This is a true emergency that need a C-Section. Pros on VBAC: less blood loss, with natural hormones the babies breath better, recovery is quicker. (obviously the pros also are that you don't have a chance of all the problems with C-Section)
Well I do have to say my C-Section experience was not bad. I recovered well, breastfed fine but I knew I wanted to have more kids and the risks get higher and higher with each C-Section. I looked into homebirth. I had the greatest experience. My midwives were so good. Soft spoken, gentle, truly cared about me and what I wanted. Addison was born at home, vaginally, 9lbs 2oz, a pound bigger than Landon with no tears at all! It was much easier than I thought. The pain was intense but I wouldn't trade 12 hours of pain for 6 weeks of pain with a C-Section. I felt so empowered after her birth. To have people tell me that I couldn't do it and then to go on and have a bigger baby with no complications was great. Going through what I did with Landon was horrific but I wouldn't change it. I learned a lot about birth, and also about myself. So take that Doctors who said my pelvis was too small!

2 comments:

kristin said...

Good for you!! I thought you were insane cause there would be no epidural with a home birth! Just goes to show that not every doctor knows what they're doing:)

Unknown said...

Rockin VBAC Warrioress MAMA!!!!!!
Kim <<--another homebirthing vbac mama :)