Wednesday, October 21, 2009

It worked!

So the Grinch mask worked! I was so excited that I couldn't stop smiling. It was a huge process but it worked! I first made a mold of Adam's face with plaster bandages. I could have poured plaster on Adam's face to make a mold but I didn't want to deal with the mess, didn't want to worry about his breathing and also didn't need perfect detail. I had to lube up his face with Vaseline, wet the bandages and criss-crossed them around his face. He sat there not moving for 20 minutes. Once it dried I pulled it off and poured plaster in that to make a reverse mold. I used this face to sculpt a grinch face with pottery clay. I did this so I knew exactly where the nose and eyes were and it would be a better fit for him. I saw another method where you just paint layers of latex onto the face you sculpted but when I pulled it off it stuck together like a deflated balloon. I was so bummed. I then decided it would be best to make a mold of the grinch face and paint the layers of latex in the mold. I was crossing my fingers that pouring plaster over my hours of sculpting would work because I didn't want to have to sculpt it again. Well it did and I started the tedious painting of the latex layers. I colored the latex green by mixing in the face makeup before I painted it on. The latex dried green and is the exact color of the fur I got. Score! I used baby powder when I peeled it off the mold so it didn't stick together. Tada! it worked. I still have to cut out the eyes and the mouth to fit it to Adam. I am a little nervous about that part because if I cut wrong then I will ruin it.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

It's fun to here about your process. I'm glad it all worked out-- good job!